Pasadena Immigration Help: 9 Most FAQ About Immigration to the U.S.

By October 10, 2018Immigration Law Blog
Pasadena immigration help

When it comes to Pasadena immigration help, many people have questions that they want to be answered and some of those questions pop up more often than others. That’s why today we are taking a look at nine of the most frequently asked Pasadena immigration help questions and their answers.

9 Pasadena Immigration Help FAQ’s and Their Answers

1. Who Decides Whether I Can Stay in the United States or Not?

Many people mistakenly think that it’s California state courts who determine whether or not an immigrant can stay in the United States but this simply isn’t true. Only the U.S. Federal government can decide your immigration status. It’s important to know, however, that while the California state court may not decide your immigration status, matters that are decided in California state court can influence the decision of the federal government on your immigration status.

For example, if you are found guilty of a specific crime in California courts, that guilty decision can influence the U.S. Federal governments decision to allow you to stay within the United States.

2. Who Can Help Me to Understand My Rights When it Comes to Immigration Law?

There are many different types of individuals who can assist you when navigating the U.S. immigration process, but the most reliable source of information is always an immigration attorney. A licensed immigration attorney will not only be able to answer your questions about the law, but they will listen to your specific circumstances and explain the steps that you need to take next and how they can help you.

3. What is an Immigration Scam and Why Am I Being Told to Watch Out For Them?

When people refer to immigration scams they are almost always referring to immigration consultants. Immigration consultants are NOT the same thing as immigration attorneys. It is important for you to understand the difference between an immigration consultant or “notario” and an immigration attorney because the services that they can provide to you are drastically different.

An immigration consultant can never:

• Offer you immigration advice or pose as a lawyer
• Serve as your representative in court
• Advise you on which forms you need to fill out
• Keep or “store” your original documents
• Charge you a fee to refer you to a lawyer

In fact, it’s ILLEGAL for any consultant to do any of the things listed above!

4. Does My Marrying a U.S. Citizen Automatically Make Me a Citizen Too?

No. If you do marry a U.S. citizen, however, you can file for a spousal visa if you marry outside the U.S. or a fiance visa if you enter the U.S. with the intent to marry a U.S. citizen within 90 days. After obtaining either one of these visas, you can then pursue permanent residence or citizenship within the United States. It’s important to know that there is a difference in the type of visa you will need to apply for dependent on whether you are already married when you enter the country as a non-U.S. citizen or whether you enter the U.S. intending to marry a U.S. citizen and have the marriage performed on U.S. soil. An immigration attorney can help you to properly fill out the paperwork necessary for either of these visas.

5. If I Am a Non-U.S. Citizen But Have a Baby While in the U.S. on a Visa or as a Permanent Resident, Does My Baby Have U.S. Citizenship?

Yes. When your child is born on U.S. soil they are automatically granted U.S. citizenship.

6. How Long Will It Be Before I Receive a Response From Immigration on My Application?

There are many things which influence how quickly you will receive a response from immigration in the U.S. Some applications are processed more quickly than others simply because of the type of application they are. Some applications are processed more quickly because they are more complete and less complete applications get held up in the system. Some applications take longer to process simply because they were submitted during a time when there was a “backup” of applications. Hiring an immigration attorney will not only ensure that you properly fill in your necessary paperwork, but they will also be able to help you by providing you with an estimated timeline on how long your application process may take.

7. Can I have Immigration Paperwork Sent Directly to My Immigration Attorney?

All paperwork referencing your immigration status and your immigration process will be mailed directly to you as the applicant. It is up to you to give this material to your immigration attorney so that they can help you to complete the immigration process quickly and efficiently. Having information mailed directly to you is also beneficial because it means that your paperwork won’t get lost in the shuffle of office mail in your attorney’s office!

8. Is There Any Way to Rush the Immigration Process?

No. There is no additional fee or another way to expedite the immigration process so it’s important that you stay on top of any impending deadlines that apply to your immigration status in the United States. This is another reason why it’s helpful to hire a reputable immigration attorney to help manage your case!

9. Will This Affect My Immigration Status or Citizenship Eligibility?

People frequently have questions about whether specific actions they have committed or specific criteria they have or have not met will influence their immigration status or citizenship eligibility. Since there are mitigating factors that can influence every case, it’s important to hire an immigration attorney who can walk you through your specific circumstances and help you to understand YOUR case!

Need Pasadena Immigration Help?

If you’re in need of Pasadena immigration help or have questions about immigration that you need to be answered, Nelson and Associates can help! Simply drop us an e-mail via our online contact form or give us a call at 626-683-3451 to see how we can help you!