What Can Immigration Lawyers Do and How Can They Help You?

By July 24, 2019Immigration Law Blog
what can immigration lawyers do

What can immigration lawyers do and what are they unable to do? Do you know how an immigration lawyer can help you as an immigrant? Today we’re taking a look at the answers to these questions so that you can know what to expect when you head into your immigration lawyer’s office.

What Can Immigration Lawyers Do and How Can They Help You?

There are a number of jobs that an immigration lawyer can take care of for you depending on your current situation. The attorneys at Nelson and Associates specialize in providing service in the following areas:

H-B1 Visas

H-B1 visas are non-immigrant visas designed to allow U.S. employers to hire non-U.S. employees with particular skills in specialty occupations to come to work for their company.

An immigration attorney can help you to obtain an H-B1 visa so that you are eligible to work for an eligible U.S. company that is interested in your employment.

K1 and K3 Visas

A K1 visa is a fiancé visa. This allows for a U.S. citizen to bring their non-citizen fiance to the U.S. with the intention of marrying them. When you are granted a K1 visa, there is an assumption by immigration that you will be married within 90 days of bringing your fiance to the U.S. on their K1 visa.

A K3 visa is a spouse visa. This allows a U.S. citizen to bring their non-citizen spouse to the U.S. when they were married outside of the U.S.

An immigration attorney can help you to file and process the paperwork needed to bring a fiance or spouse to the U.S. on a K1 or K3 visa as well as answer any questions that you may have about the K1 and K3 visa process.

Employment-Based Immigration

An employment-based immigration lawyer can assist you as a non-national bring brought to work in the U.S. for a U.S. company. They can assist with the application and visa process and once you are living in the U.S. working for a U.S. company, they can help you with various other aspects of your life as an immigrant in the U.S. Some of the concerns that your attorney can help you with in this respect include:

  • Assisting you in your application for permanent residence once you are in the country on a work visa.
  • Assisting you with the extension of your visa.
  • Helping you to legally bring your family to the U.S. as a foreign national working in the U.S.
  • Assisting you in addressing unfair treatment in the workplace.
  • Informing you of your rights as a foreign national employee in the United States.
  • An immigration attorney can defend your case as a foreign national as well as prevent or intervene in the case of threatened deportation.
  • An immigration attorney can also help to manage any situations that may arise requiring you to travel outside of the country while you are working in the U.S.

Business and Investment Visas

Business and investment visas are designed to allow foreign nationals to enter the United States based on business development as an entrepreneur or based on business investment. There are various types of business and investment visas available to entrepreneurs and investors and the details of each visa type can be quite complex. These visa types include the EB-5 Regional Center Investment visa, the EB-5 Direct Investment, and the E-2 Work Visa.

An immigration attorney can help you to determine whether a business and investment visa is right for you and if so, which type of business and investment visa is the right choice. Once your attorney has helped you to decide whether this type of visa is for you, they can guide you through the process and answer any questions that you might have.

Family-Based Immigration

Family-based immigration is an area of immigration law that helps U.S. citizens to bring non-resident family members to the U.S. to live with them. There are multiple types of family-based immigration visas available and there are also multiple “preferences” based on the relation of the non-U.S. citizen to the U.S. citizen.

An immigration attorney can help you to identify the correct type of visa for your situation and they can help you to fill in the necessary paperwork properly to get it processed efficiently.

International Student Visas

If you are an international student coming to the U.S. to attend a U.S. educational institution or program, you need to have an international student visa in place. There are three types of international student visas depending upon what type of program you will be enrolled in.

An immigration attorney can help you to file the necessary paperwork for the type of international student visa that is right for your situation. Your attorney can also help you to extend your student visa if it is necessary so that you are not in the U.S. illegally if you need to stay beyond the expiration date on your current visa.

Immigration Law for Employers

As an employer, you may need to turn to non-U.S. resident employees to get a job done. In this situation, it’s important that you obtain the correct paperwork to sponsor the non-resident employee and that you follow all necessary protocols required by immigration to ensure that your non-resident employee is in the U.S. legally.

An immigration attorney can help you to determine whether your company is eligible to bring a non-U.S. employee into the U.S. and help to ensure that you follow all necessary regulations for the hiring process.

Permanent Residency

If you are an immigrant seeking to obtain legal residency in the U.S. you need to obtain a green card. The immigration system is complicated and it’s important to get the right paperwork filed at the right time at the right place. If you don’t get all of the details right, it’s easy for your application to get delayed or even denied which can cause a whole host of problems.

An immigration attorney can help you to apply for your green card and see you through each step of the process to make sure that your application is processed as smoothly as possible.

Are You in Need of an Immigration Lawyer in Pasadena, California?

If you are in need of an immigration lawyer in or around the Pasadena, California area, Nelson and Associates can help. Just pick up the phone and dial 626-683-3451 to set up your consultation and get started on your case today!