Pasadena Immigration Lawyer Answers Your Immigration FAQ’s

By July 2, 2020Immigration Law Blog
Pasadena immigration lawyer

Leading Pasadena immigration lawyer Attorney Franklin Nelson has been speaking out for the immigrant population since he began practicing law. During that time, he has fielded a wide range of questions, so today he’s answering some of your most frequently asked questions to give you the answers that you’re looking for!

Pasadena Immigration Lawyer Answers Your Immigration FAQ’s

Q What happens if the VISA/immigration response to my criminal history report is not accurate?

A: If you believe that the information in your criminal history response is not correct for one reason or another, you must request a record review process. This process is performed to address any issues with your criminal history so that (if necessary) changes can be made to your immigration file and corrections made to your criminal history file too..

Q: Can I have my immigration response from the Department of Justice be mailed to an attorney or personal representative?

A: No. All responses to your immigration paperwork will be sent directly to you (the applicant). If you do need to provide this information to your attorney or a family member or representative, it is your responsibility to provide them with that information.

Q: What should I do if someone has tried to scam me under the guise of immigration programs or assistance?

A: If you have been approached by someone offering assistance with the immigration process, ALWAYS be skeptical. Reputable attorneys will not come chasing after you. If you have been approached by someone offering what you believe to be a scam program, however, the first thing you should do is to report the scam.

You can report immigration scams like this to the California state bar as well as the California Department of Justice Office of Immigration Assistance using the information below:

California State Bar

800-843-9053 (file a complaint)
866-879-4532 (immigration hotline)

California Department of Justice
Office of Immigration Assistance


Q: How can I find out about the assistance programs that are available to help me as an immigrant?

A: There are a number of ways to find out about assistance programs that are available to help immigrants in the United States. One of the best options is to speak directly with friends and neighbors within the community who are also immigrants. You may also contact your local department of social services. The department of social services is in charge of many of these assistance programs and can help you to discover which of the programs are suited to your needs. You can also contact your local immigrant support groups and centers. These centers are set up specifically to put you in touch with the resources that you need to build a life for yourself.

Q: Is there any way to fast track my immigration application for faster results?

A: No. The U.S. immigration system is currently VERY backed up but there is absolutely no way to rush through your application process.

Q: What is “Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds Final Rule “?

A: Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds refers to a final rule made by USCIS that was made on Feb. 24, 2020. This rule mandates that aliens who are looking to extend their nonimmigrant stay or to change their nonimmigrant status prove that since obtaining their nonimmigrant status that they seek to extend to change, they have not received “public benefits (as defined in the rule) over the designated threshold.”

What this means essentially is that the U.S. immigration system is not seeking to add more individuals who are in need of financial support to the U.S. population due to the drain that it would have on the U.S. economy. If you can prove that you have not relied on public benefits and have been self-sustaining, however, you may pursue an extension or change to your nonimmigrant status.

Q: How long does it take to process my VISA application?

A: It can take anywhere from two days to four weeks for your VISA application to be reviewed and to hear back after you have submitted your application.

Q: Who decides my immigration status?

A: Your immigration status is decided by the federal government of the United States. The California court does not have the power to decide your immigration status. It’s important to keep in mind, however, that the outcome of a California court case may impact your immigration status and the decision of the federal government.

Q: What should I do if I submitted fingerprints for the record review background check instead of submitting them to the Visa/Immigration services?

A: If you accidentally submitted your fingerprints to the record review background check instead of submitting them to the VISA/Immigration services, you will need to resubmit your fingerprints to the VISA/immigration services. This is because, under the penal system (Penal Code section 11125), the record review background check may not be used under various circumstances – including for immigration purposes.

Q: Who should I contact if I have questions about the immigration process or if I need help filling in forms?

A: The best help you can get with the entire immigration process is through a reputable and experienced immigration attorney. Here at Nelson Immigration, we have helped countless individuals and their families through the immigration process whether they needed help translating forms or whether they needed reminders for upcoming court dates. An attorney is your best option for help because they can understand your specific situation, but also because the immigration system is so backed up, getting answers from USCIS officials may take a long while.

Are You In Need of a Pasadena Immigration Lawyer?

If you are currently facing immigration concerns and are looking for a reputable and experienced immigration attorney, Nelson and Associates are here for you! Just give us a call today at 626-683-3451 and we’ll set you up with an appointment that’s convenient for you.