3 Things You Should Know About H1B Visa Applications

By February 26, 2018Immigration Law Blog
about h1b visa

What should you know about H1B visa applications? As a California immigration law firm that deals with H1B visa applications on a regular basis, Nelson and Associates have plenty of experience with the H1B visa application process. Today they are sharing three tidbits that you need to know about this process to help you on your way to an occupation that utilizes your specialized skills!

3 Things You Need to Know About H1B Visa Applications

1. You Must Have an Existing Work Offer in Place

Before even applying for an H1B visa, you must have an offer for work, education, or internship in place. Since the H1B visa must be sponsored by a legitimate company, if you do not have an offer in place, you will not be able to obtain your H1B visa.

2. The H1B Visa is Available for 6 Years Maximum

When you apply for an H1B visa, the initial visa is good for three years. After the initial three year period, the visa may be renewed once for an additional three years. This means that on your H1B visa you may stay in the U.S. for a total of six years maximum.

3. There is a Limit to the Number of H1B Visas Granted Per Year But Your Visa May Not Count Towards This Limit…

Each year the United States issues a certain number of H1B visas. This number is capped at around 65,000 regular H1B visas. The first 20,000 H1B visas granted to professionals holding a masters degree or higher do not count towards that cap, however. That means that in addition to the annual H1B visa cap, 20,000 more H1B visas are granted to individuals with specific higher education degrees. If you are entering the country to work in higher education or to work for higher education affiliated research/non-profit organizations, your H1B visa may also be exempt from the 65,000 H1B cap. If you are unsure as to whether or not you meet the criteria for an exempt H1B visa contact an immigration law firm like Nelson Immigration Law. It’s best to know everything possible about your visa application process beforehand so that you don’t run into any surprises!

It’s also important to note that 6,800 H1B visas are earmarked for Chile and Singapore citizens under the H1B1 visa.

Need Assistance with Your H1B Visa Application?

If you are seeking residence in Califonia and need assistance with your H1B Visa application Nelson Immigration Law can help! For more details on how they can help you just call 626-683-3451!