Visa Options: How to Become a Permanent Resident of the U.S

By August 23, 2022Immigration Law Blog
Visa Options

Today, we’re discussing Visa Options. Immigration to The United States has been a constant source of discussion worldwide. It was the driving force behind the colonization of America, after all. The U.S. is still one of the most sought-after destinations, and people are willing to pursue various paths to achieve their goals. There are several ways to immigrate to the United States.

Visa Options for Becoming a U.S. Citizen

You have a few different visa options depending on your background, marital status and other factors. Each one has its requirements and benefits. However, these are the most viable visa options.

Sponsorship by a Family Member or U.S. employer Visa Option

If you have a family member or employer in the United States willing to sponsor you, you may be eligible for a permanent resident visa. Suppose you are interested in obtaining permanent residency through employment. In that case, you will need to find a job offer from an employer willing to submit a labor certification application on your behalf. You will also need to submit evidence that you have met certain requirements, including having at least one year of specialized experience in the field for which you are being hired.

Once you have completed these steps, your employer may petition for your green card directly without involving other parties, such as your spouse or children. This process can take several months or years, depending on how quickly your employer can obtain approval on their end and how long it takes USCIS (the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) to process their application once it has been submitted.

Suppose you are accepted as a permanent resident. In that case, your spouse and children under 21 years old may also be eligible for permanent residency status through your petition if they were living with you in the United States when it was filed.

Refugee or Other Humanitarian Programs

A person may be eligible for permanent residency if they have been granted asylum or refugee status or if they qualify under another humanitarian program. Refugees are people who have been forced to flee their country because of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. Asylees are people who have been granted asylum in the United States after being unable to return to their home countries due to persecution.

To be eligible for refugee/asylum status, you must prove that you are at risk of being persecuted if you return home. If you were not persecuted by your government but by an organization in your country, you might still be eligible for refugee/asylum status if it is likely that your government will not protect you from persecution by this organization.

Individual Filing

Individual filing is a process that allows you to apply for an adjustment of status directly at an immigration office in the United States. If you have already been approved for a visa or green card and are in the United States, you can apply for an adjustment status at one of the USCIS offices. The application process includes paying a fee, filling out forms, and providing supporting documentation such as your passport, birth certificate and photo I.D.

USCIS will review your application and either approve it or ask for more information from you before deciding whether or not to grant you permanent residency status in the United States. If USCIS approves your application, then USCIS will send you an approval notice that says when your new status will be effective (usually within 30 days).

Are You Looking for an Experienced Immigration Lawyer to Discuss Visa Options?

If you’re looking to become a permanent resident of the U.S., you must choose an immigration attorney who is knowledgeable about the process. There are many options for obtaining a green card, and becoming a permanent resident is something that will affect your life forever. Nelson Immigration Law has helped thousands of clients just like you become permanent residents of the U.S. They can help you navigate the application process and provide guidance along the way, so your chances of success are as high as possible. Contact us at 626-683-3451 or 626-683-1151.

Leave a Reply