International student visas are necessary for any international student intending on living in and studying in the United States. Depending upon the program of study that you undertake, there are multiple international student visa categories available and a reputable immigration attorney can help you to file for the correct type of visa as well as assist in the application process.

Types of International Student Visas

In the United States, there are three primary types of international student visas available, the F-1 student visa, the J-1 exchange visa, and the M-1 student visa.

F-1 Student Visa

The F-1 student visa is available to students who will be studying in the U.S. at accredited colleges or universities OR to study the English language at an English language institute.

J-1 Student Visa

The J-1 student visa is referred to as the exchange visa and is intended for students entering the U.S. to study through an exchange student program. This type of visa is available to students in both high school and college level exchange programs.

M-1 Student Visa

The M-1 student visa is a student visa that is issued for individuals studying non-academic or vocational study or training programs within the U.S.

Management of the International Student Visa Program

In the United States, there are two groups who are charged with overseeing the international student visa program – the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The U.S. Department of State is responsible for processing international student visa applications and for issuing those visas to eligible students. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is then responsible for permitting those students entry into the United States and for overseeing them once they are in the country to ensure that pertinent immigration laws are being followed.

Why You Need a Reputable Immigration Attorney to Help with International Student Visas

Filing any immigration based paperwork can be stressful, but when English is not your first language and there is so much red tape to get through, hiring an immigration attorney can be of great benefit. Your attorney can help you to understand the immigration application process, how to fill in the necessary forms appropriately, and how to get forms filed with the right authorities before the pertinent deadlines.

Even if you get through the application process for your international student visa without an immigration attorney, it’s prudent to have one available should the need arise while you are studying within the U.S. In a climate of questionable treatment of immigrants, it’s best to have the contact information of a reputable immigration attorney on your person at all times to represent you in the case of any questions or legal concerns that may arise during your stay.

Looking for an Immigration Attorney to Help with Your International Student Visa?

Nelson and Associates are the top immigration based law firm in Pasadena, California and if you’re looking for help with applying for your international student visa in the U.S. or have questions about the application process, they can help! Just dial¬†626-683-3451.