Family based immigration is immigration of foreign resident family members of an existing U.S. resident. If you are a U.S. citizen looking to bring your family members from their native country to live with you legally in the United States, a family based immigration visa is the right option for you.
Why You Need An Attorney for Family Based Immigration
There are two types of family based immigration visas available and it’s important that you not only select the right type of visa but that you also complete the application process appropriately. Additionally, having a U.S. immigration attorney on your side will make sure that the immigration process goes as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Family Based Immigration Visa Options
The two types of family based immigration visa options are immediate relative immigration visas and family preference immigration visas.
Immediate Relative Immigration Visa
Immediate relative immigration visas are unlimited in number and are made available to the immediate family members of U.S. citizens. There are a number of types of visa in this classification including:
- IR-1: This refers to the spouse of a U.S. Citizen.
- IR-2: This is an unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen
- IR-3: An orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. Citizen.
- IR-4: An orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen.
- IR-5: The parent of a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old.
Family Preference Immigration Visa
The family preference immigration visa is designed for more distant family relationships of U.S. residents and some legal permanent residents. There are a number of types of family preference immigration visas and each type has a limited number of visas available. The types of visa in this classification include:
- Family First Preference (F1): This type of visa is for unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their minor children if they have any. This type of visa is limited to 23,400 per fiscal year.
- Family Second Preference (F2): This visa type is for spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of legal permanent residents. Approximately seventy-seven percent of these visas will go to spouses and children. This type of visa is limited to 114,200 per fiscal year.
- Family Third Preference (F3): This type of visa is available to married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children. This type of visa is limited to 23,400 per fiscal year.
- Family Fourth Preference (F4): This visa type is available to brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children (provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age). This type of visa is limited to 65,000 per fiscal year.
Need a Reputable Family Based Immigration Attorney in California?
Are you confused about family based immigration or do you need help with your family based immigration visa application process? If you need professional help from an immigration attorney for your family based immigration situation, Nelson and Associates can help. Simply pick up the phone and call 626-683-3451 today!